GHENT NEIGHBORHOOD LEAGUE MEETING
September 20, 2010
Blair Middle School
6:30pm Board Work Session
7:03pm CALL TO ORDER
Introductions of Board Members, Members, and Guests
Attendance – Joan, Irene, Jay, Paige, henry, Harry, Silke, Barbara, Ted & Brian
Updates on: Indecent Sexual Display Arrest in front of Ghent Montessori – court date next week. Robbery of Mom with child at First Pres – arrest made 2 days later. Exposure Incident on 20th St – no report given. Other incidents – n/a. Assault @ Doumar’s – not mentioned.
BOISSEVAIN ARSON – Update – still investigating, cannot release details of how it started due to the investigation but they are looking.
PENDING PLANNING AND PLANNING COMMISSION ITEMS
The Mambo Room – Special Exception to extend hrs to 2am, open to public, and bring in salsa band (live music).
- Vote – Supporting 100%
Dr. Murray Spain Family Dentistry – 1301 Colonial – Special Exception special exception – asking to chg to allow for medical use.
- Vote – 100% support of special exception application with the suggestion to add landscaping to make to property appear more appealing.
Luna Maya Restaurant – 2010 Colley Ave –
- Vote – no vote required
The Public House – Princess Anne and Colley (former Magnolias site) – upscale pub, not towards younger crowed. Open for lunch & dinner, compactly 80-74, floating floor to save tile, open in Nov, will have pool tables, 80% will be non-smoking, no entertainment, outdoor seating,
- Vote – 100% in favor of support of business and they working to help residential parking issues
Eric Menden – 631 Westover – proposal for former Cox Funeral Home site – no show
GHENT PARKING WOES AND TRAFFIC TROUBLES
SPEAKER: John Stevenson, Sr., Senior Transportation Program Manager
Dept. of Public Works, City of Norfolk
TOPICS: What is the process to get Residential Sticker Parking – currently 21, to lessen the impact of commuter parking in residential neighborhoods, reason in Ghent is due to EVMS & Sentara, to change parking status i.e. add or make 24 hr resident only, you need 75% sign a petition,
- Graydon Ave & other chronic parking trouble spots for residents – currently open for 2hr, enforced by city parking from 9-5 after by Norfolk police.
- Status of Colonial Avenue traffic calming plan – no funded as thought, will keep trying for funding.
- Are red light running cameras coming to Hampton Blvd.? not scheduled, long process, requires approval by state, large amount of studies.
- Core Avenue stop signs update – coming soon.
- The Tide & Midtown Tunnel expansion impacts
- Options to make Norfolk more bike-friendly-
- and other audience questions – Pedestrian crossing @ Princess Anne in progress, will look to.
Ghent Dog Park Association – Community Input on Park
Water – approved
Bulletin board – approved
EVMS Construction Update –
- Treasurer’s Report – Ted will email details, 990 filed with IRS via 990e postcard
- Audit Committee Reports – all in good order
- Ghent Business Association – report emailed to board.
- Ghent Masquerade – Suggest sponsoring the children’s moonwalk – suggested to ask GBA organizer about the GNL hosting a children’s activity vs a moonwalk as the moonwalk might not be safe with children playing in costume. Silke Ott volunteered to organize the activity.
- Stockley Gardens Art Festival – table secured but need volunteers to man the membership table.
- Ghent Task Force – Graydon Ave Parking & get rid of buffer zone parking on Graydon- put decision of support on next agenda.
Pending Community Concerns/Complaints
Minutes – Approval Oct-july approved
Recognize our emergency services – Harry will work on suggestion.