GNL October 2009 Meeting Minutes
October 19, 2009
Blair Middle School
Board Members Present: Henry Conde, Paige Rose, Ted Warren, Irene Blake, Harry Worley, Brian D Smith, Barbara Murphy, Suzanne Williams, Jon Hanbury
- not present – Mike Spencer & Joan McEnery
- Crime – 6 serious crimes, (2 burglaries, a stolen auto & shooting into a dwelling)
- Treasurer’s – $10,809.24 total balance, new account being set-up for PayPal income
- Ghent Task Force – none
- GBA – none
- Sec Reps – adding crime info & new police contact to site
- ERC – none
- HAPC – No quorum at the last 2 meetings.
- Membership – Magnets being finalized.
- Communications – none
- Programs – Councilwoman Dr. Whibley for November
Pending Requests/Issues Reported to City
- 601 Raleigh Ave – patio – not going forward with design
- 303 Colonial Ave – none
- Hardy Siding – approved
Community Improvement – A letter to homeowners in Historical Districts was mailed out by the City of Norfolk.
Walgreen’s ABC Application – Draft letter to be presented to the GNL board via email in opposition to the application addressed to the ABC.
RLUIPA – Amendment update being reviewed by city council on 11-3-09.
Ghent Dog Park – Installing etiquette signs and will be marching in the holiday parade.
- Maury High School – Dr. Andrea Tottossy, Principal – Enrollment is down 100 from last year. Their goal is to increase parent presence for forums. Homework Club is very popular with parents volunteering.
- Blair Middle School – Jeanne Kruger, Principal – Enrollment is a little less then many high schools, up by 100 from last year with 42% enrolled in the 6th grade. Currently working with ODU on a program to help students with homework and activities and to act as counselors.
- Taylor Elementary – Mary Anne Bowen, Principal – Principal Bowen has been at Taylor for decades. The school is offers “manners tea” and likes to focus on different cultures when teaching.
- Ghent Elementary – Christina Boone, Principal – This K-8 school has no attendance zone and has a “open classroom” method. This means the whole grade much of the time are in the same rooms together with multiple teachers. The school is focussing on community involvement.
Meeting Minutes Approval – August, September & July 2009 – 9 yes,