Monday, November 20, 2006
Maury High School band room
At the November meeting we are to have the pleasure of hearing the author of a new book on Ghent. Amy Waters Yarinske will discuss her book:
John Graham’s Dream
Norfolk, Virginia’s Treasure
Ms. Yarinske willl discuss her research about the area, and, during the break for refreshments, make herself available to sign copies of the book – an ingeniously appropriate Christmas gift for your neighbors past and present and homesick college offspring.
We are also pleased to report that the night following, Tuesday, November 21, will see a second meeting for the neighborhood. At the request of City Councilwoman Dr. Theresa Whibley, a public meeting will be held to air issues relating to the homeless population within Ghent and to work with stakeholders and service providers to explore strategies for amelioration. Your invitations should be arriving shortly. We hope to see you all at both of these content-rich meetings.
NOTE: The October meeting was cancelled due a death in the president’s family. President Andrews’ apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused and thanks the many League Members who have expressed their compassion.
- 6:30 Work session – Board of Directors
- Call to order
- 7:00 Introductions of directors, members and guests
- Approval of Minutes of September Meeting
- Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees
- Treasurer – Joe Maus
- Liaison to Ghent Task Force – Mike Spencer
- Liaison to Ghent Business Association – Helen Brown
- 7:20 Guest Speaker: Amy Waters Yarinske. Author: Ghent: John Graham’s Dream, Norfolk, Virginia’s Treasure
- Break for Refreshments and book signing
- 8:00 Police Report. Officer Gilda Klein
- 8:10 Guests with Business Before the Board
- Guests with Business Before the League
- Plans for the Sears Site:: 201 Twenty One. Dan Aston, Rick Jackson, Vince Mastracco
- New Business
- Proposed Meeting on Issues in Ghent concerning the Homeless population